Aging is a natural process for all living beings. Though physical changes which happen over a period of time can not be stopped or reversed but we can handle the complications arising due to these. These changes happen to everybody more or less similarly.
Living healthy & happy is a lifelong project, one should follow primarily. But people ignore as being entangled in studies, carrier, business, family life & neglect this very important act of prime importance. This careless attitude causes premature aging in our lives. Regularly following wrong sleeping, eating & relaxing habits we suffer from premature onset of aging.
It is never late to start good things in life. Once you decide to start following a healthy life style, results start coming simultaneously. Gradually you will start feeling improvement in quality of life with better resistance towards diseases, improved digestion, mobility & elevated mood with more rich feeling of well being. This makes you confident of taking care of yourself in old age.
Here are some simple tips to help:
* Rising early: Getting up early will help you in organizing daily rituals in time, so that you can timely organize your morning rituals, inhaling fresh air, exercise or yoga, bathing, prayer, reading news paper & timely breakfast. Getting up early is always calming & soothing as there is no television or traffic noise, no kids crying or yelling, just chirping of birds to soothe you. As per Ayurvedic concepts of health, it helps to induce: positive thoughts, light headedness, elevates mood & is soul refreshing. Rising early & walking in fresh morning air helpful in maintaining lungs, skin & bones healthy.
* Morning walk: Morning walk is always best exercise which involves movement of most of the muscles of human body. You can start walking with moderate speed. After a month or more depending upon your energy level & strength, you should try to make it brisk. Routine heart checkup is always good to have if you have a history of such ailment. Walking is found to be helpful for strengthening of muscles & bones.
* Breakfast: Generally it is not given importance as we generally have heavy dinner last night so think that skipping will relive bloating. Believe me, skipping breakfast will not ease it, rather it will make the situation worse. Breakfast should be rich but should be free from oil & spices. Having Dalia (Coarse grinded or broken wheat) boiled in milk & some fruits of your choice can be added to your breakfast.
* Healthy diet: Start eating 5 – 6 small meals instead of 3 big meals. Eating small & frequent meals helps to balance your calorie intake throughout the day & helps to balance blood sugar levels. You can start your meals with soup or salad made of seasonal vegetables & fruits. This way you will eat fewer calories by the end of the day. You can have fruits at any of the mealtime. Sprouts are a rich source of Vitamin-C & Protein so incorporate these in your daily diet. Always remember to have a light & easily digestible food at night followed by a glass of milk.
* Milk intake: Milk is always good to consume as it has essential micro-nutrients required for well being. You can opt for low fat or skimmed milk if have raised cholesterol or obese. Ayurveda recommends consumption of a glass of milk every night one hour prior to retiring to bed.
*Water: Maintaining sufficient water intake is necessary for human body. We keep on losing water through perspiration, breathing & through urine. So don’t wait till you feel thirsty. Depending upon climatic condition it is always advisable to consume 2 liters or more of it. Water is involved in almost all necessary processes of human body. Sufficient water intake not only helps us flushing toxins from our body but helps moisturizing of our internal organs & skin.
* Dry fruits: Consumption of dry fruits in elderly is highly recommended in Ayurveda. Ayurveda advises regular intake especially of: Badam (Almond), Akhrot (Walnut), Kaju (Cashew Nut), Pista (Pistachious), Kishmish (Raisins), Khajur (Date) & Chuhara or Chuara (Dry date). Dry fruits contain essential natural unsaturated oil, proteins, vitamins & enzymes. Dry fruits are always good for those living in cool climates. They are high in calories so should had in small quantities.
*Be positive: Be socially active & connected to family & friends as this will boost your energy levels to fight against depression, disability & hardships of life. Always keep in mind that living alone & isolated is not good for healthy aging, so be socially active as it induces positive energy which boosts immunity. Remain mentally active through interacting with persons of all age groups. Always wear cloths which suit your personality.
*Healthy lifestyle: It is always good to introduce new activities & habits which you have not done in your life. Modify your unhealthy behavior & habits, leave drinking, smoking & keep your weight under control. Maintain a healthy lifestyle, remain curious for learning new things. Don’t live alone & leave your self idle.
* Sleep: Sleep is as essential food. Good night’s sleep acts as nutrition & relaxing to our brain. So go early to bed, read your favorite stories, listen light music, pray & thank God. Massaging head & feet with oil is very relaxing & soothing.
You are master of your own. Once you decide to start living healthy, your quality of life will become better & better everyday. You can even extend your longevity. One thing which too is important: Start gradually to succeed in this span of your life.
This article in nut shell:
– It is never late to adapt to new healthy habits.
– Rise early to enjoy natural beauty in morning to refresh your mood.
– Morning walk is always energizing & helps to strengthen your muscles & bones.
– Have a rich breakfast full of fruits, whole grains & milk.
– Always eat healthy & sumptuous food full of seasonal vegetables & essential nutrients.
– It is always better to have milk & milk products as they are a rich source of proteins.
– Drink sufficient quantity of water to moisturize internal organs & detoxification.
– Consumption of limited quantities of dry fruits is always good for health.
– Be & remain positive as it boosts energy levels & immunity.
– Always follow a healthy lifestyle & avoid smoking & drinking.
– Sleep sufficiently for complete relaxation & repair of tissues.