Phobia is a kind of anxiety disorder and a deep irrational fear which causes panic on coming in contact with the source of the fear. This persistent fear of a situation or object can last over six months. The affected person tries his level best to avoid the object or situation to a greater extent than the actual danger. If the person is unable to avoid the situation or object, he suffers from considerable distress. A person can develop phobias to innumerable situations or objects.
Causes of Phobia
Environmental and genetic factors result in phobias. Children who are prone to anxiety disorders are at a greater risk of developing these phobias. Extreme heights, confined spaces, exposure to insect or animal bites or a distressing event like near drowning could be a source of such phobias. Even those people with chronic medical conditions such as substance abuse, depression or brain injuries are prone to developing these phobias.
Symptoms of Phobia
Phobias could be irrational but those suffering from the problem don’t fail the reality testing. Various symptoms are exhibited by patients suffering from different kinds of phobias. For example, schizophrenics suffer from auditory, visual, paranoia, delusions and other disorganized symptoms.
Treatment for Phobia
Whatever may be the reason there are effective natural remedies for phobia such as ginseng, lemon or lime, valerian root or lavender oil.
- Lemon or Lime: The juice of a lemon or lime is effective for reducing dizziness or nausea associated with a phobia. Just cut a lemon into two halves and smell it for getting relief during an attack of phobia.
- Ginseng: This herb is known for its energizing and relaxing properties and is used extensively for the treatment of nerves.
- Valerian Root: This herb can be used for the treatment of insomnia. It has the properties for relaxing the nerves and the central nervous system of an agitated person and thereby is used as an effective herbal remedy for the treatment of phobia. Grind 5-6 valerian roots for preparing the herbal remedy. It should be consumed 2-3 times a day for lowering the effects of phobia. However, pregnant and nursing mothers should avoid the consumption of the powder of valerian root.
- Lavender: This is another effective remedy for phobia. Lavender has a soothing effect on the body and has a pleasant smell. Daily lavender oil massage can help in getting rid of an attack of phobia. The best way to lower stress is by adding drops of lavender oil to the bathing water for a relaxing bath.
- Kava: This is a popular herb used for treating and sedating mental patients. It relaxes the mind without hampering the mental clarity of the patients. Consuming the kava herb daily builds up the tolerance level that is helpful in lowering phobia. The standard daily dose of kava is 250 mg.
- Passion Flower: The passion flower is an effective herbal extract that boosts the functioning of the nervous system and brain and helps to maintain the organs in a healthy equilibrium. This natural remedy is effective in controlling phobias and panic.
- Supragya Plus: In addition to the herbal and natural remedies, there are certain ayurvedic remedies for phobia. Supragya plus is one such nerve tonic that strengthens the nerves and resolves the nerve associated problems that include depression, anxiety, phobia, stress, irritability, anger, intolerance, sleeplessness, palpitation and much more.
- Ashwagandha: This is another effective ayurvedic remedy that can be used in the treatment depression, anxiety and other psychiatric conditions related with a phobia. The leaves, roots, and berries of this herb have medicinal properties that prove to be effective in the treatment of an array of mental disorders.
Phobia is a serious mental illness but with a healthy diet, proper exercise and certain natural and ayurvedic remedies the problem can be effectively handled.