Isn’t it sad that after 30, your body starts to go downhill? Most of us start to put on weight, skin starts to sag, sunspots appear on the face, hair start to turn white or fall off, less energy to party through the night, get hang over the next day if we stay up beyond midnight, take a longer time to recover from colds and flus….It gets even more depressing after 40. Illnesses like high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, start to haunt us.
What causes aging?
Everyday we are exposed to free radicals, from the environment and from within our bodies. Free radicals are unstable molecules that steal electrons from other molecules and attack our body. They attack our cells causing them to die. Or they attack the DNA in our cells, leading to mutated cells. The free radicals accelerate the aging effects on our bodies and increases our chances of getting cancer and other diseases related to the skin, liver, respiratory, immune, cardiovascular and nerve systems.
Anti-oxidants are the body’s first line of defense against the attacks from free radicals. Although our body produces anti-oxidants naturally, they may not be sufficient as we face an onslaught of free radicals from the unhealthy food that we eat, the stressful lifestyle that we lead and the polluted environment that we live in.
Is it any wonder then that rural folks who live in the countryside with fresh air and eat more natural and less processed food lead longer and healthier lives than us urbanites?
If you are not these country folks, what anti-aging methods can you use so that you look and feel like 35 when you are fifty? What if you are already in your forties and fifties and have not tried any anti-aging methods? Is it too late to reverse the clock?
It is really better late than never. It does not matter whether you are thirty, forty or fifty etc.
Here are 10 tips for anti-aging.
1) Eat less carbohydrate and protein. I have found from experience that carbohydrate is the worst enemy of a trim tummy. For protein, take more low fat ones like fish, egg, bean instead of meat.
2) Eat more vegetables and fruits. We all know this, but how many diligently eat more veggies and fruits? One good way is to eat them when you feel peckish between meals, instead of reaching out for chips or biscuits or chocolates.
3) Supplement with anti-oxidants. This will prevent free-radical damage to your cells. For simplicity and comprehensive anti-aging supplementation, look for a supplement that contains all the necessary vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants in one pack.
4) Exercise more. Physical exercise can delay or prevent illnesses like hypertension, obesity, heart diseases and osteoporosis.
5) Avoid exposure to excessive sun. Our skin becomes dry and leathery with age. Sunspots would start spreading on the face. So put on a sunscreen after your facial moisturizer, or get a moisturizer with sunscreen. Do not just apply to your face and neglect the rest of your body. Many people have dry and itchy skin because they do not put moisturizer on their bodies.
6) Do not smoke or drink too much alcohol.
7) Use anti-aging and firming skincare products. Skin care products with antioxidants, such as vitamin C, can support collagen production.
8) Detox periodically. Detoxing 2-4 times a year is good for your blood and liver.
9) Keep an active mind. Read more and learn new things like computer stuff or pick up a new hobby.
10) Do not worry too much, be happy. Take life easy, do not stress yourself up unnecessarily. If there is nothing you can do to change a situation, quit fretting about it. Take up meditation or yoga or something relaxing.